SHADOWS FROM THE PAST… – 2
This entry was posted in Roseboro Murder
. Bookmark the permalink
On October 5th, I published a portion of a letter I received from a lawyer regarding a post I published in July of 2009 concerning the Michael Roseboro murder trial and the comments under it (click here). My response, emailed to the three parties indicated today, is below.
October 9. 2014
Via Email: email@example.com
Jason G. Benion
Post & Schell
17 North Second Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1601
File # 119789
Dear Mr. Benion:
This is in response to your letter dated September 24, 2014 (I am also sending this response to the President and Chief Executive Officer of Post & Schell and to your General Counsel and Corporate Compliance Officer):
1. The statute of limitations on libel/slander/defamation in Pennsylvania is one year.
2. Therefore, your letter has no legal basis and is unprofessional and a blatant attempt to intimidate.
3. The fact that you just “recently became aware” of these comments does not extend the statute of limitations and totally contradicts your further statement that “These comments are defamatory and cause substantial harm to Mr. Bean’s reputation.”
4. What I find most deeply disturbing is your request for IP addresses and “any other identifying information” on the commenters themselves. Obviously I am not releasing that information nor would I under any circumstances ever, except for a court order, provide that information to anyone.
5. I request that you, your President and your Corporate Compliance Officer each respond to my question which is: What would you do with that information? If you learned the actual identity of the commenters from five years ago, what purpose would that serve you and your firm? What, beyond harassment, would you possibly do with the information?
I am astonished by the lack of professionalism and intimidation in your letter. I am requesting an apology and an immediate response to my question posed in #5.
cc: Brian M. Peters
President & Chief Executive Officer
Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
cc: Andrew W. Allison
General Council and Chief Compliance Officer
Via Email: email@example.com