* UPDATED – GOING TO THE DOGS!

This entry was posted in Lancaster Courts, Lancaster Newspapers, Police, Racism, Unsolved Murders. Bookmark the permalink.
*PROTECT YOUR CITIZENS,
MAYOR GRAY & CHIEF SADLER!

The Lancaster City Police had a big awards ceremony last night (click here).  I’ll come back to that tomorrow, but today I want to address my two emails to Mayor Gray and all the City Council members regarding the May 16th murder of 83-year-old Erma Kaylor.
    A phone message for the Mayor was left with his assistant, Bernie Berkholder, at 10:40 am this morning.  I will follow up again tomorrow and every day after that until I get an answer.  Why hasn’t Mayor Gray and the Lancaster Police Department accepted the District Attorney’s offer of assistance in arresting Kaylor’s killer?
     This was my second request on October 16, 2012:

Mayor Gray,

I have not received a response to my original email of September 20, 2012.  Today marks the five month anniversary of the brutal murder of Erma Kaylor in her home at 235 W. Vine Street.  Will you be requesting the District Attorney’s assistance to remove her killer from the streets and bring justice and closure for her family, friends, neighbors and Lancaster City residents?

I eagerly await your response.

Sincerely,
Becky Holzinger
Editor, LIPNews.com

This was my first request on September 20, 2012:

Dear Mayor Gray,

Please advise why the Lancaster Police have not taken advantage of  Lancaster County District Attorney Craig Stedman’s offer to assist in arresting the killer of 83-year-old Erma Kaylor in her home at 235 West Vine Street on May 16th of this year?  This killer presents a danger to the citizens of Lancaster every day.  It has been over four months since her murder.  There have been multiple media reports of people living in fear in her neighborhood and many stating they want to move because of this horrific, unsolved murder.

Will the Lancaster Police be accepting the District Attorney’s offer of assistance in removing this killer from the streets?

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
Becky Holzinger
Editor, LIPNews.com

CLEARANCE RATES?

Local data also shows that reports of major crimes end with fewer arrests.
     Included in the Lancaster County data are clearance statistics, which indicate when a report ends — either with an arrest or the termination of an investigation for a different reason.
     Through August of this year, local police have cleared roughly a third of all reported crimes.
     Most alarming are clearance rates for burglary and robbery.
     “(Those) lower clearance rates do stand out,” Lancaster County District Attorney Craig Stedman said.
     Through August, police received 293 burglary reports, with 32 of them being cleared.
     In that same time frame, 137 robberies have been reported, and 41 have been cleared.

From today’s front page article, “Statistics show reports of crime falling in Lancaster County,” (click here).
    What a ridiculous headline!  Crimes are not being solved!  What about the “clearance rate” for murder?  What about attempted murder?  What about aggravated assault?  What about arson?
    Police Chief Keith Sadler needs to resign or be fired immediately!  Period!
    The crime situation in Lancaster is out of control and the Lancaster Newspapers are not even beginning to tell the public the true story.
    Their lead front page story today and the story below it are about dogs – literally!  This newspaper cares more about dogs than  83-year-old Erma Kaylor being brutally murderred in her home in May and her killer still being on the loose over five months later.  It is absolutely disgusting!

About Becky

Becky Holzinger 209 E. Duval Street Phila., PA 19144 Phone: (215) 350-5849

11 Responses to * UPDATED – GOING TO THE DOGS!

1. FWIW says:

@Comrade – You don’t have the slightest idea what you’re talking about. Explain to me, in detail, how the police “line their pockets” at the citizens expense. Fear of police unions? Really? What are they going to do, take their lunch money? You watch too much TV. Your issue is completely different Becky’s; yours is fantasy.

2. Comrade says:

While the citizens of this community and across the country, for that matter, want to believe the police are primarily devoted to protecting them, that is not actually true. The primary interest of the police is in lining their pockets at the expense of the very citizenry they are supposed to be protecting. Many local and state elected officials agree with this assessment; however, they are afraid to speak publically for fear of the police unions who will work to unseat them come election time or who, at a moments notice, can mobilize hundreds of officers to pack public meetings and intimidate and shout down citizens who try to speak openly about issues related to the outrageous costs associated with the maintaining these ridiculously large police departments. These developments are very similar to the beginnings of fascism in Italy in the 1920’s. Frightening, indeed.

Oh yeah, and how much did it cost city taxpayers to fete 40 officers for doing what they are paid to do. Craziness.

I plan to find out how much this absurd award ceremony cost the taxpayers and if the police were paid – and paid overtime pay – for attending. I will put in a Right To Know request.

Let me add as a side note that a reader is terribly upset about the lack of an arrest in Columbia for the murder of 6-week-old Andrew Moyer, Jr. I called the Columbia Police today and they directed all questions to Randall Miller in the District Attorney’s office. I will call him tomorrow.

3. anonymous2 says:

It is troubling when the newspaper functions as PR for the police instead of as advocates for the citizens.

I don’t think the press should try to make the police look bad, but they shouldn’t try to make them look good either. Isn’t the press meant to just tell the truth? Relate the truth of every story or issue?

4. Numbers says:

Kudos to District Attorney Stedman for having the courage to even hint at the ineffectiveness of the local police. The fact is, most police acitivity involves handing out motor vehicle citations. As taxpayers we are being gouged to pay the salaries of so many unneeded police officers.

Well said, Numbers!

“I’ve noticed in my time here, there are certain (trends) you can set your clock to,” said Sadler, who has been the city’s police chief since April 2008.

Crime dips at the beginning of the year, specifically in January and February, the coldest months here, the numbers show.

By spring, the numbers climb, the chief said.

The number of reported crimes ebb by summer’s end before an upsurge with the arrival of the holiday season, Sadler said.
        The big man from Philly brags about being in law enforcement for 31 years! That’s really good, Chief Sadler! Wow! Would someone give this man a medal?

5. Becky says:

It’s amazing I woke up to this front page article. Last night I had a conversation with a friend and we were listing all the unsolved murders and crimes! And then there are the ones where we don’t even know if they are murders! Unbelievable!

You know, I keep coming back to this opinion piece by Sadler from April of this year, “Police officers are worthy of their pay”:

1. The average person may not be aware of how detectives might work three days straight without sleep, trying to catch a murderer of one of our citizens or the shooter of a 7-year-old girl.

That is absurd! Ask a college student to stay up three days straight! It can’t be done and if anyone on the police force is beiing paid for “three days straight” it needs to stop immediately! Three days straight??? No wonder no crimes are being solved!

2. I have no problem with your paper publishing information to which citizens are entitled. I do have a problem with you singling out officers and firefighters by name and subliminally suggesting that they don’t earn these salaries. The absence of information in your article may suggest that they are just sitting around collecting money at the public’s expense. A reasonable person would not believe this to be true.

Several years ago I wouldn’t have believed that detectives were “just sitting around collecting money at the public’s expense,” but now that the Chief oddly brings it up, I think the detectives are just sitting around collecting money. What the hell do they do? They don’t solve any crimes!