UPDATE * LOCAL MAN WALKS DOG?

This entry was posted in General News, Lancaster Courts, Lancaster Newspapers, Police, Racism, Unsolved Murders. Bookmark the permalink.

Part of a comment in under this post.
      Agreed. And the only way I know to give them protection is to let the public know it is going on and to ask for their help in knowing the signs and reporting suspected abuse to the authorities.

HORRIFIC CHILD ABUSE

Joseph A. Valentin, Jr. from his Twitter account.

*   I received another email about a horrific child sexual abuse case that states in part:
      There is a major rape case headed to trail this week in Lancaster County Courthouse. Joseph Valentin has 35 Felony counts of rape & 3 Misdemeanor counts of rape against his own daughter (a minor).
      I called court administration today and they said Valentin is scheduled to plead guilty tomorrow at 9:00 am in courtroom #8 before President Judge Dennis Reinaker.
      He actually has three dockets (at least two because they were in different jurisdictions) and just a portion of his court summary is below (click here to see the entire summary).
      I don’t have a clue why this wasn’t in the news when he was arrested and charged but I will follow-up tomorrow and thank you to the emailer.
******

PRINT RELEVANT NEWS!

From today’s Letter to the Editor, “Noisy car is not news,” (click here).

Hear! Hear! Enough with the scrapple, chicken corn soup and hog maw! Let us have some news!

19 Responses to UPDATE * LOCAL MAN WALKS DOG?

Lol talk about hijacking a thread. You assume too much in your blind dislike of me. To clear some stuff up: 1: I’m not a Mr.; 2: Again, I’m not LE….my job is somewhere between legal research, social work and mental health studies 3: I really have no opinion on the encryption of police communications. It really doesn’t concern or affect me. But thanks for calling me disingenuous without any basis or background.

Oh …and relax. Becky didn’t “identify” anyone. The guy probably has 18 daughters!

Somebody hijacked this thread from cops and prosecutors controlling the news media and therefore the public to dissenters here must “disagree with protecting innocent child victims of sexual assault. Let me guess Mr. LE… You think encrypting police radio comm. is a good idea for “safety” reasons and anyone opposed doesn’t care that a “police officer might get ambushed if the news media reports something heard over their scanner”?! Disingenuous. At best.

Well then that is hilarious! Not even a little close. Can’t even imagine that, but ok.

And to the point, still a really strange stance to take. You can dislike me…..it doesn’t mean you have to disagree with literally every statement I make. I mean, how do you disagree with protecting children who are the victim of sexual assault? I’m sure barryinwinnipeg and I aren’t usually on the same page, but he acknowledged the truthfulness in what I said above and he worked with these poor kids and their families.

I don’t know which anonymous poster you are talking about being in law enforcement, but the one noted that “THE NEWS MEDIA” itself does not post the relationship status of a minor victim to the perp until specifically given clearance to do so……to protect those minors. I don’t really understand why anyone would have a problem with that particular viewpoint…..you know, trying to protect the innocent minor victims in these cases…..

The one anonymous poster is in law enforcement and is full of shit. QUIT TRYING TO CONTROL THE NEWS MEDIA! You do your job and we will do ours. W/o YOUR help, thank you.

7. Layne Kisster says:

Well. One thing’s for sure. This hillbilly will be someone’s “wife” real soon.

It is interesting to note that most, if not all news sources will only state that a victim is a minor, but will not mention the relationship of the victim and the offender until and only if that information is released by the family and/or law enforcement, I believe.

The crime of incest is not limited to your own children. So it’s not true that people will automatically know who the victim was if a person in your family is charged with incest. I’m also not sure it’s fair to say that just because some close to the family may know who the victim is, it is right to publicize that. I thought the point here was to protect these kids….not make everything worse for them. We could at least do what we can to limit the damage. It simply was not necessary to your post to state the victim was his daughter….especially when that post didn’t even mention incest.

10. Layne Kisster says:

My Goodness. In addition to drug dealers, the Dick was a very popular lawyer for child molestors. Like a whore, whatever the customer wanted-the Dick would do. He was a very popular advocate among Amish child molestors.

Becky, I get your point, but is it necessary to reveal who the minor victim of sexual abuse is so openly on your website? More people definitely know that the poor girl was raped by her father today than knew yesterday and it is kinda your fault…..

When CBS-21 ran “incest” in their headline about David Smucker people knew that his daughter was raped by her father. Valentin’s docket shows a charge of “incest.” Her family and their relatives and their neighbors already know because he has been in jail for months. It’s unfortunate, but I don’t know any way around it when “incest” is charged.

12. barryinwinnipeg says:

I second everything the above commentator has so correctly stated. The only thing to add is something called “secondary traumatisation” which child protective services workers undergo. When I worked at the County’s Children and Youth Agency workers often were so overwhelmed by the pain they saw that nine months service was enough to cause you your own emotional harm. I served two years and I still carry the emotional scars. Whether or not people may want to know about this is beside the point: our children need protection from such abuse–period!It isn’t just an issue for any one County, or any one State, or any one Country for that matter.

Considering your post with the information from the e-mailer, it is interesting to note that in this day and age, with social media, it is not hard to figure our who victims are, even children. And if you look at some of the most publicized cases of any child abuse in the recent past, those kids become instant icons/symbols, with their pictures posted all across the internet. If a child survives the abuse, and has to live with that the rest of their lives…..man, that’s a lot to deal with and something you never got a choice in. That is a tough one. I think its an important issue to report on and reveal, but protecting the victim is important too. Especially in small communities….you are definitely going to know who that is and are never going to look at them the same or forget it. Regardless, in any case, I wonder if its not better to at least delay reporting a little…..give the family and friends of the victim time to scrub social media accounts and make them private so their child’s image doesn’t end up all over the internet. I don’t know. Again, that’s a tough one.

Part of it is because these kinds of cases are hard to track and keep up with. Child protective services in the US receive a new report of child sexual abuse approximately every 8 minutes! It’s estimated that 65,000 children are sexually assaulted every year in our country alone…..and while reporting and arrests don’t happen in a large percent of those cases, that’s still a lot of cases wherever you are. Enough that, as horrific as the crime is, it’s very commonplace……that case is nowhere near the worst I’ve studied in the past couple years…..try the Benjamin Taylor case in WV (rape and murder of a 10 month old baby) or Isaac Cardenas in TX (rape of a 21 month old with a sharp object) or Michael Disporto in NJ (rape and murder of a 23 month old). And those numbers don’t even include the more staggering numbers for child abuse and neglect in general. Crimes against children are just too numerous to even fathom, let alone keep up consistently.

There is also the conundrum of whether and how much to publicize these cases. There aren’t many cases where law enforcement is willing to flaunt the arrests, unlike drug cases. While it brings attention to the issue, it also heightens the risk/likelihood that the victims, often a family member or close acquaintance, will be easily identified…..a serious issue for these vulnerable and innocent little victims.

Finally, sadly, it’s one crime that people in general just do not want to hear about. It’s horrific and disturbing and for most people, it is just too much. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had people tell me I should do something else and tell me they don’t want to hear about whatever new case I’m on. Sad, because if there is any issue people should be outraged about and focused on, it is the abuse, neglect and killing of children, which is a HUGE problem in this world and a problem that crosses all class, race, etc….. The statistics are staggering and heart breaking.

15. my goodness says:

Wasn’t Doug Cody one of mayor dick’s partners pre mayor days?

16. Layne Kisster says:

It wasn’t in the news because it could reflect bad on the country. And, with tourist season upon us. They also didn’t mention the Amish child molester who’s out and about after his $2,000,000 bail was posted.

17. Layne Kisster says:

Did you happen to catch today’s news?

-“13 popular restaurants of yesteryear in the Lancaster area”

-“Mark your calendar for tasty spring: Lancaster County food events to raise funds for nonprofits”

Please note; that’s “tasty spring”

-“Coleson Fine Clothiers opens in new, larger spot in Manheim Township after move from downtown Lancaster”