* UPDATED – 50 SHADES OF RACISM!Posted on August 26th, 2012 10 comments
A poster below the swimming story linked to an Franklin & Marshall paper, “We Feel the Heat Too – Lancaster’s Civil Rights Movement in the Summer of 1963,” (click here). I haven’t read the whole thing – but I found my father on pages 21 and 22.
I remember the stories. I grew up listening to the stories.
My father would go first and ask for a membership in a local pool. He would be accepted. He would be followed by an African-American who requested the same. They would be turned down.
We were never allowed to go the pools because they were segregated. Oh, I remember the stories.
That has nothing to do with the Sunday News putting an African-American child on the front page (something that almost never occurs) under the headline “Most African-American children can’t swim.” Nothing at all.
CHILDREN CAN’T SWIM”
Part of the sub-headline from today’s Sunday News front page story (click here).
Really? “Most?” It’s the end of the summer and you tell us “most” African-American children can’t swim? Ridiculous! What a crock!
Yes, the Sunday News gives us no news again! This front page of this racist paper tells us most African-American children can’t swim, has a ridiculous interview with Harold (Chip) Miller who “resigned” this week as the Lancaster Newspaper’s CEO and who never hired an African-American and Gil Smart and Mayor Gray go after the Brunswick – again! Unbelievable!
To brighten your morning after this incessant round of racism, no news and Brunswick bashing, I thought you might enjoy the above photo! Yes, this is Mayoral candidate Pete Ruggeri (see the story immediately below) reading the only book he‘s ever read! What a hoot!
Please check back later today.
10 responses to “* UPDATED – 50 SHADES OF RACISM!”
Oh no!!!!!!!!!!! They have nothing better to put in there Newspaper?!!! I am dumb founded!! WOW!!!
Lead front page story with pictures, Rosa! Do you believe it????
OH MY GOD!!! This is out right stupid!!
Talking August 26th, 2012 at 11:39
Not s single mention of the PSP opposed Martin Plan for short term convention center funding either.
Did you read the editorial?
Talking August 26th, 2012 at 12:15
I do now and have the following to say about their self-serving editorial…
1) I dont know why Barrett left but I know he told his membership in May that they fully expected to lose the 20% and had planned accordingly, putting up to 3 years worth of that revenue into a reserve account. Short-term, they are OK, PSP and LNP need not worry about them.
2) Under Barretts leadership, the PDCVB issues a clear statement in June opposing a tax increase…if they oppose it, why are LNP and PSP out there advocating for it on their behalf. If they were so short of funding, why would they have such a position?
3) In item #1, I show how the toursim community clearly knew that this would come to pass and they would take a hit, why is LNP just coming to that realization now and seemingly advocating oon their behalf when they have turned their back on the PDCVB in the past…most specifically when it came down to the selection of the common manager.
4) If toursim is so important and so vital to our economy and what it does, why woud we ever consider a tax that can do nothing but hurt it in the first place.
5) If LNP succeeds in having all hotel tax returns, and therefore all private hotel business sales data made public, this will have a deleterious effect on rates and revenue ACROSS THE BOARD. This will depress rates lowering hotel taxes and ultimately depress property values lowering real estate taxes. All to change the subject that they are party to the largest project in lancaster history that has NO MARKET in Lancaster.
Don’t know who you are talking but….Very well said.
Wow Becky, thank you for sharing this story. Sadly, it was back in 2009 when the children of Philadelphia were asked to leave because most of the children were African American and Latino Americans.
Anonymous August 27th, 2012 at 06:22
Pete Ruggeri can’t even spell Rick Gray’s name properly.
Anonymous – Pete’s properly spelled last name is Ruggieri! The book title is “Grey,” our Mayor is “Gray.” I didn’t have a problem!